Best RV Slide Out Awnings [Our Reviews and Comparisons]
Packing up the RV with family and friends for a weekend road trip is that moment during the summer that you never forget.
If you are like many RV owners, some of the best times that a family shares is during an extensive RV trip.
Whether it’s a quick trip to a local campsite or a country-side road trip, these memories last a lifetime.
Now, today, more and more RV owners are beginning to wonder as to whether they should adapt their RV with a slide-out.
These are simple innovations that known to provide owner with added space, which, as we all know, can be crucial when traveling with numerous people.
However, before anyone can consider adding a slide-out, they must consider including protective measures. This is where RV slide out awnings come into the picture.
These handy pieces of innovations can mean the difference between a flooded RV and a safe, protected slide-out room.
The benefits and opportunities that these innovations present are immense!
In today’s article, we are here to help by presenting a guide and insight with our RV Slide Out Awning reviews.
Depending on your needs, there is a slide awning for you.
|TOP PICK!||1. Lippert RV Solera Awning Slider
||Check Latest Price|
|2. Carefree Side Out Kover III Awning
||Check Latest Price|
|3. Dometic EZ SlideTopper Slide-Out Awning
||Check Latest Price|
What are RV Slide Out Awnings?
If you are new to the RV industry and maybe recently purchased your own camper – perhaps you have never stumbled across a slide out awning before. In truth, these are probably one of the most pertinent, and popular, pieces of innovation when it comes to recreational vehicles. In fact, if you have ever driven by a camp site before, chances are, you have seen a camper or RV with an awning over their slide out.
This is a physical extension that hangs above the slide out of an RV. Some slide out awnings are vibrant in color and design, others are simpler, depending on the brand and style. Additionally, some consumers may have their awning fabric personalized.
As many customers have wondered, the purpose of an RV slide out awning is to add an additional layer of protection and coverage. Today, slide outs are becoming an ever-so popular decision by owners. However, as many RV owners can attest, having a slide out has increased the likelihood for flooding, leakage, and a host of other problems. This is where purchasing a slide out awning can prove quite effective.
Types of Slide Outs
When in the market to purchase an RV slide out awning, it’s important to be aware of the type of slide out that you have. Today, there are four different types of slide outs that owners can have/build. As opposed to smaller van awnings, RV awnings are much larger and more robust. Please note, different slide out awnings may be type specific. Be sure to always do the added research to make sure, prior to purchasing.
- Drawer: A slide out drawer is typically used by RV owners for the purpose of storage. It may be rare to find a slide out awning for a specific slide out drawer. Additionally, these are typically manually operated.
- Electric Rack: Out of the different types of slide outs, an electric rack is the one that most RV owners select. If you have seen a video of a room electrically appear from a side of RV before, it was an electric rack. These require an electric motor that automatically churns and forces the slide out room to extend.
- Hydraulic: This type of slide out is quite common among the RV industry; however, they are most typically used in heavier and larger recreational vehicles. As the name implies, these slide outs utilize highly-advanced hydraulic systems to move the slide out in and out.
What to look out for in an RV Slide Out Awning?
Prior to jumping into our RV Slide Out Awning Reviews, we thought we would share some insight on some of the most pertinent things to look out for before purchasing just any slide out awning. Now, since there are so many different options, especially at RV and camping stores, it can feel overwhelming.
However, it’s crucial not to make any impulse purchases. Not only are these products costly – they can also be dangerous if made from poor materials, lack durability, or miss important features. Without further ado, here is what you should look out for in an RV slide out awning.
- Materials: It should be assumed that not every single slide out awning is made from the same type of material. In fact, in this industry, awning fabric can be made from an assortment of materials, making it crucial for you, the consumer, to understand what that material means. In other words, is the material durable? Is the material easy to clean?
- Durability: Prior to purchasing any slide out awning, it’s crucial to look out for the durability claims of a manufacturer. Are they discussing the durability of the fabric or the hardware used? Does the company offer consumers any warranties for their products? Consumers should be able to answer all of these questions prior to making a purchase.
- Cost and Value: The cost to value ratio is probably one of the important factors to look out for when purchasing an rv slide out awning. When we gathered the information for our RV slide out awning reviews, we used the cost to value ratio to provide you with only the very best in class. To discover the cost to value ratio – take the time to evaluate the price range of a product, and its competition. From there, evaluate the product based on it’s inherent value, marketed by the manufacturer. When you understand what the price of the product is in accordance to it’s cost, it can shine a bright light on the very best and worst products in an industry.
- Added Features: Every single brand has to make an attempt to separate themselves from the rest of the competition. One of the best ways for a company to do this is through adding unique feature. This may mean stronger or innovative hardware, including automatic features, unique coloration and design options, or even perhaps technological advances in the product itself.
Below is a short video of how to install an RV slide out awning:
Anyone on the hunt for the absolute best RV slide out awning needs to begin their research with the Lippert RV Solera Awning Slider Black. This product has become a fan favorite among the RV community, receiving rave reviews from experts and customer alike.
Known for its high-quality build and various sizing between 5 feet and 16.5 feet – this RV slide out awning offers value like no other competitor. Consumers can currently purchase this awning in a solid black color, partnered with black hardware, for the best appeal.
- This slide out comes in a variety of sizes for consumers to pick from, making it easy to fit based on slide out room.
- This specific slide out awning will permanently attach to the RV and function off automatic features.
- The product is made from high-quality materials that can withstand the weather elements.
- This awning can extend up to 50”, which if you compared to the rest of the competition, is significantly longer.
- Great product to help protect an RV and slide out room from flooding and other related problems.
- In comparison to what competitors are pricing their slide out awnings at – this product may be considered expensive.
When it comes to high-quality rv slide out awnings, there are not many products like the Carefree Side Out Kover II Awning. This product has quickly become one of the strongest competitors due to its wind deflecting features, modern design, and impressive automatic integration.
For beginners, this product is great for slide room roof sizes between 70 inches and 77.9 inches. What many consumers tend to enjoy about Carefree products is the type of material that they use for their slide-out awnings. This specific product includes a material that not only offers the best support from the wind and rain, it can help protect a slide-out room from leaves, debris, dust, and other potentially dangerous elements.
- Carefree offers all consumers a full manufacturer’s warranty. In order to claim this, you will need to contact customer service.
- This slide out awning comes with wind deflector properties.
- Great for roof sizes between 70-77.9 inches.
- Unique modern and sleek design adds a unique aesthetic element to an RV.
- This awning helps to protect the slide out and RV from debris, water, and other elemental damage.
- This product has electrical integration features so that when opening a slide room, the slide out awning works as well.
- The instructions to set up this product can be complex and difficult. Consumers have said the instruction lack pictures and video.
When you begin to consider the Dometic EZ Slide topper Slide-Out Awning – you realize how competitive the top-end slide out awnings really are. As many RV owners who have purchased this product may say – this awning is simply stellar. The material used in constructing this product helps to fend away any debris or dust to clean any slide room clean.
Additionally, this slide out awning also has unique stain and mildew resistant properties, further helping an RV’s slide room. Partner this with automatic extension and retraction features and a manufacturer’s warranty and you have a worthy contender for the best slide out awning. Did we also mention that this brand is one of the highest quality brands on the market?
- Built from high-quality vinyl material that can help resist stains, mildew, and other dangerous elements.
- The unique design of this slide-out awning helps to prevent the build up of debris, including leaves, dirt, or even water.
- Product is automatically integrated into the slide out room.
- Consumers can opt-into a manufacturer’s warranty upon purchase. You must contact manufacture for more information.
- This specific slide-out awning can be difficult to attain or purchase due to limited quantities.
- Will not work with a slide room at 42” or more.
Your Next Step…
In this article, we have presented you with some in-depth insight into the industry of RV slide out awnings. After reading all of this information, chances are, you are asking, what is the best product for me? If we can be honest, that’s a complex answer that depends entirely on your specific RV and needs.
As you can tell, each product that we featured on our list today offers its own unique benefits and opportunities. Additionally, each product is designed for a specific sized slide out room. Understanding the type of slide-out room that you have, or desired, can shine light as to what type of slide out awning you need.
As a responsible consumer, the next step on your end is to figure out, according to our RV slide out awning reviews, what product best matches your needs. This may mean measuring your slide-out room or contacting the manufacturer to figure out what size awning could fit.
There is always a slide out awning to match an RV. While it may take a bit of research, these three products on our list today are the most notable in the industry. If you are looking for somewhere to begin or add flavor to your RV,